Our Story
Discover the story of IICS, one of the world’s oldest international schools, inspiring generations of students in Istanbul since 1911.
Istanbul International Community School History
Our Origins
Our school was founded as the international sister school for the children of Robert College's foreign teachers. Established in 1863, Robert College is the oldest existing American educational institution outside the United States, and our shared history continues to shape who we are today.
From Robert College Community School to IICS
Since opening in 1911 as Robert College Community School (RCCS), we have evolved from serving one community into one of Türkiye's leading international schools, welcoming students from around the world.
While Robert College follows an American curriculum, IICS has developed as a truly international school and became one of the first schools in the world authorized to offer all three International Baccalaureate (IB) programmes.
A Century of Change
Our school has witnessed remarkable moments in history. When IICS was founded in 1911, the Ottoman Empire was still in existence. Just over a decade later, our community experienced the transition from empire to the founding of the Republic of Türkiye in 1923.
Continuing Our Legacy
More than a century later, IICS remains one of the world's oldest international schools. Generations of students have discovered their passion for learning here, and we continue to prepare future generations to thrive in an ever-changing world.
IICS Through the Years
Explore the milestones that shaped IICS from its founding in 1911 to its growth as a leading international school in Istanbul.
1911 — Foundation of RCCS
- The Robert College Community School (RCCS) was formally founded in 1911 to provide education for the children of Robert College’s foreign faculty members. Though 1911 is the official establishment date of RCCS, it is said to have existed informally for many years prior to this date. In either case, this makes it one of the oldest international schools in the world. There is no existing record of where the school was located in 1911, though it is thought to have been in Anderson Hall, on the campus of what is now Bosphorus University.
1914 — World War I Closure
- The school was closed during World War I.
1919 — Opening to International Students
- The school began accepting all international students in Istanbul.
1939 — World War II Closure
- The school was closed for the duration of World War II.
1945 — Primary School Authorization
- Under the newly established republic, the school received permission from the Turkish Ministry of Education to establish a primary school for the children of foreign nationals.
1955 — Temporary School Closure
- The school was temporarily closed.
1958 — Move to Rumeli Hisarı
- The school moved to its main building in Rumeli Hisarı.
1960 — Expansion to Grades 1–8
- The school expanded to include grades 1-8
1979 — Separation from Robert College
- RCCS formally separated from Robert College and changed its name to the Istanbul Community School.
1980 — Formation of the Governing Board
- A volunteer governing board of parents was created and convened for the first time in March 1980.
1985 — Becoming IICS
- The schools name was officially changed to the Istanbul International Community School (IICS). On December 18th, the main building of the school burned down (no one was injured). This main building had been the childhood residence of the first full-time editor of National Geographic Magazine, Gilbert Hovey Grosvenor, whose father once taught at Robert College. Following the loss of the main building, IICS acquired what was later known as “the Corner House” and “the Kuran Building”. IICS also constructed prefabricated classrooms on the site of the main building, which were used until the Marmara Campus was built.
1987 — Corporate Status Granted
- IICS received permission from the Turkish government to form a corporation.
1989 — Authorization to Operate
- IICS’s incorporation was granted permission to operate a school for foreign nationals under the supervision of the Government Planning Organization.
1991 — Retirement of Carol Fonger
- Retirement of Headmistress Carol Fonger: Carol Fonger, who first arrived in 1958 when the school was known as Robert College Community School (RCCS), retired after decades of dedicated service. She began her career teaching Grades 5 and 6 (1958–1960) before becoming Headmistress, leaving a lasting legacy of leadership and commitment to the school community.
- Following the retirement of Headmistress Carol Fonger, Mr. Kenneth Hillman assumed leadership as Heamaster, marking the beginning of a new chapter in IICS history.
1996 — Planning a Second Campus
- Due to considerable growth, plans for a second, purpose-built campus were made.
1997 — Full IB Authorization & CIS Accreditation
- IICS was authorized by the IB to offer the Middle Years Program for grades 7-10. This made IICS one of the first schools in the world authorized for all three of the IB programs. IICS was internationally accredited by the Council of International Schools (CIS).
1998 — First Grade 12 Graduation
- IICS’ first class of grade 12 students graduated.
1999 — Opening of Marmara Campus
- IICS opened its 16 hectare Marmara Campus, located 25 miles west of the city center amid rolling hills, overlooking Buyukcekmece lake. The IICS Marmara Campus serves students from 3- 18 years old (grades PK-12). The Hisar Campus continued to serve students from 3-9 years old (grades PK-3).
2001 — Luis Alfonso Appointed Headmaster
- Headmaster Luis Alfonso took over for Ken Hillman.
2002 — NEASC Accreditation
- IICS was internationally accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, making it the only PK-12 international school in Istanbul globally recognized by European and American accrediting organizations.
2004 — Joining CEESA
- IICS joined the Central and Eastern European Schools Association (CEESA).
2005 — Jeremy Lewis Appointed Headmaster
- Headmaster Jeremy Lewis took over from Luis Alfonso.
2007 — IB Reauthorization
- IICS was re-authorized by IB.
2008 — CIS & NEASC Reaccreditation
- IICS was re-accredited by CIS and NEASC.
2009 — Marmara Campus Expansion
- After increasing enrollment by 30% from 2004-2009, IICS expanded the Marmara campus, constructing a new gym and multipurpose building, a new art atelier building on the south lawn, expanded the library to nearly double the size, designed a new centrally located college counseling office, and created a new secondary student lounge.
2010 — Technology & Early Childhood Innovation
- Headmaster Peter Welch took over for Jeremy Lewis. Due to steadily increasing enrolment and the need for additional classrooms, IICS constructed early childhood center for Preschool and Prep classes on the south lawn. IICS launched a 1-to-1 laptop program in August 2010 which provides each student in grades 6-12 with a free netbook computer to use. All classrooms on both campuses were outfitted with data projectors. Many classrooms were also outfitted with interactive whiteboards.



