Secondary School Science Labs and Teaching Assistant
Istanbul International Community School
IICS Past & Present (General Background)
IICS is an independent, non-profit, fully accredited school (CIS/NEASC), authorized to offer all three IB programs. IICS currently enrolls more than 500 students representing 60+ nationalities. The secondary school is located on the Marmara Campus, a purpose-built facility.
● Minimum qualification of a Bachelor’s Degree in Science.
● Minimum of two years of teaching assistant experience, preferably in an IB MYP international school
● Maintain positive respectful relationships with all members of the school community
● Be familiar with all relevant school policies and procedures and support the vision and mission of the school
● Contribute to the improvement of the school through engagement with initiatives, participation in meetings, supporting colleagues and contributing feedback
● Demonstrate commitment to professional development
To support Secondary Science teachers in delivering a world-class science experience at IICS via managing science materials, including organization of equipment and safe storage of material. In addition, the Lab Assistant will set up labs in a safe environment and assist teachers in the running of classes to ensure a safe learning experience. Working with the Science department is approximately 60% of the duties.
40% of the duties will be to assist in other classrooms in the Secondary School, primarily within the Arts department.
Major Areas of Responsibility in the Science Department
● Keep track and location of kits/lab materials
● Keep kits/lab materials in good repair and well stocked with replacement materials
● Anticipate what will be needed for the year and obtain replacement materials in advance when they will be needed
● Keep a list of any additional materials that need to be acquired from the local market for teachers and obtain them as necessary.
● Deliver the necessary equipment to the classrooms when needed
● Prepare science labs when needed
● Maintain inventories of the laboratory
● work closely with the Head of Science in improving the overall learning environment of the science labs.
● Prepare annual orders for the purchase of science materials
● Dispose waste and used chemicals as per environmental safety regulations
● Send broken equipment for repair
● Provide overall assistance to the school community whenever and wherever required (field trips, special events, etc.)
● Come into the classroom to help run hands-on activities and labs
● Help coordinate Group 4 activities
● Run small/large science group activities in a support role
● Help with bulletin boards and displays of student science work
● Assist with other school duties and assignments as assigned
● Watch class if teacher must leave the room temporarily
● Report to the principal of any safety concerns
● Maintain confidentiality of information concerning teachers and children.
Other Areas of Responsibilities in the Secondary School, Specifically in the Arts Department
● Keep an updated inventory of Arts supplies and inform staff of items to be ordered, follow up local orders with the finance office.
● Keep an updated inventory of other Arts related equipment such as video cameras, sound equipment; oversee the secure storage of these items and systems for check-in and out of these items for staff
● Prepare printed resources, photocopying etc. on request
● Assist in monitoring classes with a focus on safety
● Support student learning
● At times, substitute in classrooms
Please send the following documents to Pinar Demirkan, Director of Human Resources at email@example.com.
● Letter of interest (1 pg.)
● CV or resume
● A list of 3-4 references, including current Head of School and immediate supervisor if not the Head of School